Saturday, March 21, 2020

Social Distancing

The news reporters have been using my term..."The New Normal". Social distancing is the new normal for the rest of the population. I feel like we have been in  social distancing mode for awhile now. Trying to stay just far enough away from friends and family so that they don't ask questions.
Personally I am fine with this "new normal", it keeps me from having to make excuses.
I have been forcing myself to interact with people. To do things I would not normally do. Yesterday I did creative video of our churches worship so that it could be shown via the internet for service. We have not been to church in such a long time because hubby has been working. Normally I don't like doing video, but I enjoyed the challenge. And it got me out of the house and involved in prayer with the band.
I think as much as I would deny it, I need some social interaction. My problem is that I only want to do it on my own terms. Most people are probably like that. I doubt I am any different. Except that I have to force myself to do it. I really did not want to go film at church yesterday, but I enjoyed it while I was there.
M is upbeat as usual. I don't know how he does it. Actually I take that back, he is me in a different body and it is normally hard to keep me down. He got a job in the woodshop. It was what he was wanting to do. He was pretty much a shoe in. He has always enjoyed working with his hands so this is really kind of perfect. He will be learning cabinetry and furniture building. I only hope it translates to a decent job when he comes home.
The letters for his clemency hearing have been sent. I almost wish we had not asked his grandparents to write letters. My FIL is such a...well...I really don't know how to describe him. He made a statement in his letter that he would "need to be watchful of M's behavior and influence." and that if "necessary, confront him is issues arise"
DOES HE NOT KNOW HIS GRANDSON????
I just want to scream! I hope M does not even use it. I am so upset with how cold the letter comes across. This is the same man when we sat and waited for them to take M away sat in silence and when M asked him if he had anything to say, hoping for support, said "I have said all I needed to say"
Hubby has not seen the letter. I photographed it before sending it yesterday, because they were late and we needed to get them to M in time. I am not sure I want him to see it. Our relationship with my FIL has been strained for a few years now due to various issues and I don't see this as a way to repair it.
Maybe I am wrong. Lets hope I am wrong.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I've been thinking too, people with SO's in their lives already are familiar with their worlds being turned upside down and involuntary social distancing. This is different but in some ways not totally unfamiliar.

    Sorry to hear about the stress over your FIL's letter. Legally, I would imagine his lawyer would know whether to use it or not. But the damage to your already-troubled relationship is trickier.

    Hopefully M's prison is a relatively safe place from COVID, with limited interactions with the outside world, especially in a military prison.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just shared some insights on the support for families board, in the member journeys area. Maybe they would be helpful for you. Hope you guys are getting by OK.

    ReplyDelete