Monday, November 18, 2019

Discovering the unfairness of it all

I could not sleep last night.
I learned something about the registry yesterday and I am just stunned in disbelief. M's crime took place in Delaware, there he would be required to register for 15 years. If he had done the crime in our home state of Kentucky he would be required to register for 10 years. But here is the kicker, Kentucky requires all out of state offenders to register for LIFE! So when he comes home to be with his support system he will have to register for life instead of 10 or 15 years.
How is that a fair system? How is that NOT punishing someone for coming home?
Unreal.

Someone asked me yesterday if I saw registrants differently now being so close to it. I was surprised that my answer was yes. You don't know someone else's pain until you experience it yourself. I had no idea that the registry encompasses EVERYTHING the law deems a sex crime. So a 12 year old who moons someone is on the registry along with someone who peed against a wall in public, along with someone who raped a minor. Everyone of those people is labeled with the sex offender red letter. The registry is out of control. It should only be for those who have done a violent crime or reoffenders.

There are groups working towards sensible registry laws. I have included links on the sidebar of the blog. I think the laws need to change.

No comments:

Post a Comment