Saturday, November 30, 2019

17 Days

Since we have talked to M.
Thanksgiving has come and gone. 2+ weeks. And we have not heard a word.
I know we can expect to not hear from him often, but this is heartbreaking. The not knowing how he is doing. What is going on with him. I have my phone by my side constantly now. I used to ignore it, but not anymore.
I hoped they would let him call on Thanksgiving.
My Dad called, who I have not talked to in a few months. (Terrible I know) He asked about M. I lied. I told him he was deployed and we did not know where he was. My Dad is retired military. I am afraid to tell him. I don't think he would judge, but I so don't want to disappoint him.
Thanksgiving was a quiet, somber affair. Our oldest came over with his wife and our 4 year old grandson, so there was chaos created by him. But the elephant was in the room. Bourbon and wine was poured often.
After dinner we played "Ticket to Ride", a board game we had all been wanting to play. J actually played a round with us, as did my mother. I think we were all trying to block out the past year.
To forget for just a few hours.


2 comments:

  1. Keep hope alive Remember that rules of incarceration are strict and that leniency is rare, especially with inmates that bear the scarlet letter. I'm sure that the issue your son has right now is that he is in between destinations and does not have the convenience of communication. If he could he likely would because he needs a familiar voice and the love of his mother right now. Time seems to move at a snail's pace when you have no knowledge of a loved ones condition. But soon enough you'll hear something. Stay strong dear, it will get better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I am trying to be patient. It is kind of like wishing for the rare phone call when he was in basic training. The waiting just sucks.

      Delete